Wednesday, August 15, 2012

ten things i think i think

1. Although he wasn't known for talking, I think this Charlie Chaplin speech is pretty great. Also I think it is sad to hear speeches like this that still apply after all those years.



2. I think these are some things that sports analysts/announcers say that I hate:

Intestinal fortitude - when used in reference to someone having "guts". It just sounds stupid.

We are going have to out score them to win (or other variations) - when used in reference to a high scoring game. Thank you Captain Obvious.

110% - when used in reference to the amount of effort given. This pisses me off 110% of the time.

World Champions - when used for champions of leagues that do not exist internationally (NBA, NFL, etc). Is the rest of the world arrogant enough to call themselves "world champs" of anything without competing against other countries?

3. I think the link below is a good reminder that there is a world beyond America.

10 things American's don't know

4. I think this is an interesting stat (as of 8/10/12)

2012 Mariners average home attendance - 22,710 (MLB average - 31,414)
2012 Sounders average home attendance - 39,469 (MLS average - 18,732)
Just saying....

5. Little bit of randomocity. So I was reading an article disputing a market analysis for the Seattle area in reference to bringing the Sonics back (yeah I know, boring) and I saw a word that caught my eye....embiggen. I knew I had heard this word before but I couldn't remember where. Turns out it is not actually a real word but it was mentioned in an episode of The Simpsons. Why do I remember things like this but I can't remember to take the garbage out to the curb?

6. I think these are a few random quotes I like:

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
-Barry Switzer

"May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future".
-Unknown

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world".
-Bob Wehadababyitsaboy....no, I don't know the author of this one either.

7. I think people should not be allowed to eat seafood for lunch at work when other people are in the office. If this smell was actually appealing, there would be air fresheners made out of it.

8. I think kids are funny. Here are 3 things that my daughter did the other day that made me laugh:

First she was singing the usual daily impromptu song that makes no sense whatsoever when she decided part of the lyrics should include spelling out the word "stupid". The only problem, other than being kinda weird, was that she spelled it "s-t-u-p-e-d". I told her she might want to keep that song to herself.

Later the kids were playing in Alyssa's room when she found a pair of oversized green glasses that were from St. Patrick's Day. Since the glasses were more than 5 minutes old, obviously they were broken (the lenses were missing). Aidan asked why there were no lenses and Alyssa said "Some people don't have lenses because they can't afford them". She is catching on to our attempts to make her more mindful of the hardships that some people face.....but why the hell would someone buy glasses with no lenses?

Lastly, my kids love taking pictures and videos for no apparent reason. Alyssa managed to no only capture this gem of a picture but also post it on Sandra's Facebook with an accompanying comment of "Crazy Laddy[sic]". I'm not sure how kids learn how to do this stuff at such an early age, but it's pretty funny.

9. I think puzzles like this are great. Maybe it's nerdy, I don't know, but I hope they still have kids do stuff like this at school. I've heard about tests like this being used for job interviews. Here are some examples:

http://hunternuttall.com/
http://www.kent.ac.uk
http://www.knowledgebase-script.com

10. I think basketball in the Olympics needs to be a U23 tournament. I get no joy out of watching the USA destroy every other country. Some people will point to the close championship game with Spain and try and say the rest of the world can compete with us. I say that the lack of a center due to injuries is the only reason that game wasn't a 30 point blowout....The Gasol brothers looked like beasts and Pau is only the 4th best player on the Lakers. The US rarely is able to put their best team on the court due to injuries, players not wanting to risk injuries, or contract issues, yet still destroys every other country. The team of injured guys that missed the Olympics (Wade, Rose, Howard, Bosh, Griffin, Aldridge, Billups) would still probably beat most countries except maybe Spain and Argentina when healthy. I don't think the disaster of 2004 will happen again simply because American players now know that losing is possible, but winning a game.....not a preliminary game, but an actual this-one-counts, win-or-go-home game by a score of 156-73 is nothing to be proud of in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment